When I was running this shell script, it failed out when it would try to access shp2mysql.exe. That was strange.
I actually had to recompile the executable from source. It seems I had done that before - but still given the file the .exe extension on the back, that is what confused me when I went back to try to use the file again; I thought I was using a windows binary but really I was using a recompiled linux binary with a .exe extension - that is not the same thing. I didn't add the extension this time, and I marked up my shell script with notes in case this confuses me again.
Here's the updated shell script that I use to load my SITUS file from an external source:
# immediately set the shell to exit if simple command exit exists.
# set -e
# have to include the path in case this is the first time running so we know where the sql2mysql executable is, if this isn't the right path: add the one that is.
echo "Today is $NOW."
# DatePart=`date ‘+%m%d%Y`
# The following just creates the directories if we need to.
if [ -f $FILE2 ];
echo "File $FILE2 exists in path (/usr/bin), proceeding"
echo "File $FILE2 does not exist, you will likely have to recompile shp2mysql from source and run this script afterwards, sorry."
if [ -d $DIR ];
echo "Directory $DIR exists"
echo "Directory $DIR does not exist, creating"
if [ -d $DIR2 ];
echo "Directory $DIR2 exists"
echo "Directory $DIR2 does not exist, creating"
cp /home/dom/Downloads/shp2mysql/src/shp2mysql /home/dom/Documents/GISTEMP/situs/shp2mysql_linux
# /checks to see if we've done this before.
if [ -f $FILE ];
echo "File $FILE exists, please update later"
echo "File $FILE does not exist"
echo 'getting file via FTP from Kitsap County'
HOST='kcwppub3.co.kitsap.wa.us' # change the ipaddress accordingly
USER='anonymous' # username also change
PASSWDfirstname.lastname@example.org' # password also change
ftp -n $HOST
quote USER $USER
quote PASS $PASSWD
cd /gis/datacd/arcview/layers/parcel/ # this folder contains
echo 'file acquired, unzipping'
# need to run in silent mode /q should help./
# copy the new filename to the directory for archival purposes
mv /home/dom/Documents/GISTEMP/siteaddr.zip /home/dom/Documents/GISTEMP/situs_$NOW.zip
unzip /home/dom/Documents/GISTEMP/situs_$NOW.zip -d /home/dom/Documents/GISTEMP/situs/
echo 'converting the .shp file to .sql script'
shp2mysql_linux -s 4326 siteaddr situs db_kitsap > situs_$NOW.sql
# this dataset includes a field named "primary" which funks things up, to fix this we have to use a SED command to replace the 2nd instances of Primary in the first line to Primary2, the command below does this.
echo '.sql file created, now fixing a known flaw in the architecture of the table.'
sed '1 s/PRIMARY/PRIMARY2/2'
echo '.sql file fixed, uploading to mysql database'
# need to add an if exists for dropping and adding
mysql -uuser -ppassword db_kitsap -e "drop table if exists situs"
mysql -uuser -ppassword db_kitsap -e "source situs_$NOW_fixed.sql