Friday, May 15, 2009

GPolygon() solves the ggeoxml() innaccuracy issue for house-sized polygons

Well, today I was able to get my real impervious surfaces to show up the way that I wanted.

Originally, I built a PhP utility that created a KML file for a requested property. But, using GgeoXML to display that KML caused the polygons to be simplified – and this simplification was enough (at the scale of buildings that I am working with) to significantly distort the reliability of the data.


So, I had to go back to the drawing board.

I ended up writing a very similar PhP utility that uses the Gpolygon overlay class. So now, each of the polygons I had originally created and stuck in a KML is just displayed directly in the API after I’ve used PhP to correctly format the Glatlong inputs into the Gpolygon() class.

But, the end result is that I have much more polygons being displayed – the polygons are exactly the same ones that I created in the original shp file that I was working with.

Building this map was actually much easier than learning DOM architecture to create the KML-based map that I made first – I can see why folks recommended I go this way originally; on the other hand, I learned a lot: and that’s worth the circuitous route for me: the scenery was more memorable.

Here’s an example polygon loaded from a KML file and displayed using Ggeoxml service class to retrieve the data:

http://freeforthepicking.com/imagery/kmlmap5.A.SITUS.php?q=3101600&Submit=Search&r=&s=



And here’s the same set of polygons using the Gpolygon() overlay class:

http://freeforthepicking.com/imagery/kmlmap5.3.SITUS.php?q=3101600&Submit=Search&r=&s=



As you can see, the true shape of the objects is reflected in the second, but not the first map.

Thanks for everyone’s help: next challenge is getting the info windows working for the polygons – but its always something! I feel empowered to do everything I can think of now, but I wouldn’t be able to do that without the help of the folks in this group, so thank you everyone.

Dr. Dominic Ebacher
Ebacherdom.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment